While it’s definitely easier to pick up whatever household items are on sale to save money, making your own will save you the most money to contribute to your frugal lifestyle. That used to be my mentality before I discovered how much money and time I can save making my own cleaning products.
Some of the alternatives to the store bought cleaning products are also great for the environment. These homemade cleaning items can be whipped up with a few common household items like baking soda, vinegar, and salt. These homemade products when made in bulk for pennies can also save you time.
Most of these house cleaning product alternatives are of equal or better quality than the store bought brands. I grew up with the normal household cleaners for the most part. But when we ran out of Windex and paper towels, we reached for the vinegar and newspaper.
These homemade cleaning products also make great gifts around the holidays. Just add a decorative bottle or mason jar and print an adorable label to finish off the look.
I have put together a list of frugal homemade household cleaning items that can easily replace every single one of your store bought brands. Check them out and tell me what you think!
1. All Purpose Cleaning Spray (aka 409): 2 cups Water + 1/4 cup Distilled White Vinegar + 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice + 2 teaspoons Borax
2. Glass Cleaner (aka Windex): 2 cups Water + 1/4 cup Distilled White Vinegar + 1 teaspoon Dawn Dish Soap || For full instructions: The Crazy Organized Blog
3. Disinfecting Wipes (aka Clorox Wipes): 1 cup Water + 1/4 cup Isopropyl Alcohol + 2 tablespoons Dawn Dish Soap + 2 tablespoons Ammonia + Mix all ingredients + Pour over 24 rags cut into squares + Store in empty disposable wipe container || For full instructions: Living On A Dime
4. Cleaning Pads (aka Magic Eraser): 1 teaspoon Baking Soda + 1 tablespoon Pure Castile Soap + Warm Water + Spray Bottle + Mix ingredients + Spray mixture onto Generic Sponges || For full instructions: Little House Living
5. Air freshener (aka Febreze): 3/4 cup Water + 2 tablespoons Vodka + Essential Oil || For full instructions: The Prairie Homestead
6. Laundry Detergent (aka Tide): 50% Washing Soda + 50% Borax
7. Fabric Softener (aka Downy): 2 cups Hair Conditioner + 3 cups Distilled White Vinegar + 6 cups Hot Water || For full instructions: Fabulessly Frugal
8. Clothes Wrinkle Remover Spray: 1 tablespoon Corn Starch + Warm Water + Store in Glass Spray Bottle
9. Shampoo & Conditioner: 4 tablespoons Baking Soda + 1 liter Water, then + diluted Apple Cider Vinegar (for conditioner)
10. Body Wash: Pure Castile Soap + Water to dilute
11. Liquid handsoap: Bar of Soap (grated) + Add to 4 cups Boiling Water + Stir until melted + 1 tablespoon Glycerin + Essential Oil + Sit for 10-12 hours + Stir every few hours + Add 2-4 cups water + Store in Glass Dispenser || For full instructions: Thrifty Northwest Mom
12. Tub & Tile Cleaner (aka Kaboom): 3/4 cup Borax + 1/2 cup Baking Soda+ 1/4 cup Dawn Dish Soap + 1/8 teaspoon Vanilla Essential Oil + Combine all ingredients + Store in Glass Container || For full instructions: Smart School House
13. Toilet Bowl Cleaner: 50% Distilled White Vinegar + 50% Dawn Dish Soap+ Store in empty toilet bowl cleaner bottle
14. Shower Cleaner Spray: Heat 1/2 cup Distilled White Vinegar until warm, then + 1/2 cup Dawn Dish Soap + Stir + Store in Spray Bottle || For full instructions: Frugal Family Home
15. Powdered Bathroom Cleaner (aka Comet): Baking Soda + little Salt + little Distilled White Vinegar
16. Fragrant Toilet Spray (aka Poo-pourri) – 10-20 drops of Essential Oil + 1-2 tablespoons Isopropyl Alcohol + Mix thoroughly, then + Water + Shake well + Store in glass spray bottle || For full instructions: The Fun Times Guide
17. Dishwasher Tabs: 1/2 cup Borax + 1/2 cup Washing Soda + 1/2 cup Epsom Salt + 1 tablespoon Baking Soda + 1 tablespoon Citric Acid + 4 tablespoons Lemon Juice + Stir in large bowl + Pack in ice cube tray + Dry for 24 hours + Store in airtight container || For full instructions: Frugal Family Home
18. Dish Rinse Aid (aka Jet-Dry): Apple Cider Vinegar
19. Microwave Cleaner: 1 cup Distilled White Vinegar + 1 cup Water + Glass measuring cup + Microwave 3 minutes + Wipe with damp cloth
20. Mop pad refill (aka Swiffer Pads): 1 cup Water + 1 cup Distilled White Vinegar + 2 drops Dawn Dish Soap + 10 drops Lemon Essential Oil + 10 drops Basil Essential Oil + Mix ingredients in Glass Spray Bottle + Spray onto rectangle of Fleece || For full instructions: Premeditated Leftovers
21. Wood Floor Cleaner (aka Murphy Oil Soap): Fill mason jar 1/3 full of Dried Orange Peel + Top with Distilled White Vinegar + Let sit for 1-2 weeks (shaking occasionally) + Strain solution from peel || For full instructions: Growing Up Herbal
22. Any Floor Cleaner: 1-2 drops Pure Castile Soap + 2 cups Warm Water + drops of Essential Oil + Mix ingredients + Store in spray bottle || For full instructions: Clean Mama
23. Liquid Clog Remover (aka Drano): Pour boiling water down drain, then + 1 cup Baking Soda, then + 1 cup Lemon Juice or Distilled White Vinegar || For full instructions: Happy Money Saver
24. Adhesive Remover (aka Goo Gone): Liquid Paraffin + Orange Essential Oil OR 2-3 drops Lemon Essential Oil + 2 tablespoons Baking Soda+ 1/2 tablespoon Water
25. Stain Remover (aka Shout): 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide + 1 part Washing Soda + 2 parts Water